- Osama bin Laden was killed on May 1, 2011 -- eight years to the day after President George W. Bush famously announced "Mission Accomplished." (Bush got the right day, just the wrong year.)
- On July 4, 1826 -- the 50th anniversary of the signing of the Declaration of Independence -- the nation celebrated its golden anniversary, and two of the founders who served on the committee to produce the document, Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, died on that memorial day.
- James Monroe died on July 4, 1831.
- Without direct military linkage, Vicksburg in the western theater and Gettysburg in the eastern theater were both secured for Union armies on the same day -- July 4, 1863. Generals Grant (a future president) and Meade were operating independently.
- Calvin Coolidge was born on July 4, 1872.
Curse of Tippecanoe: After the Indians in Indiana Territory lost a major battle on the Tippecanoe River in 1811, Tecumseh's brother Tenskwatawa, known as "the Prophet," supposedly set a curse against William Henry Harrison and future presidents who were elected every 20 years. They would ultimately die in office. The "curse" applied to seven presidents in an uncanny pattern:
- William Henry Harrison, elected president in 1840, died in 1841.
- Abraham Lincoln, elected in 1860, died in 1865.
- James Garfield, elected in 1880, died in 1881.
- William McKinley, elected in 1900, died in 1901.
- Warren Harding, elected in 1920, died in 1923.
- Franklin Roosevelt, elected in 1940, died in 1945.
- John F. Kennedy, elected in 1960, died in 1963.
NB: Ronald Reagan, elected in 1980, was almost killed by John Hinkley on March 30, 1981.
The 6th century B.C. saw an uncanny rise in spiritual and intellectual pioneers who would make a permanent contribution to the worldview of human beings -- Confucius, Lao Tzu, Buddha, Thales of Miletus, and possibly Zoroaster were all contemporaries.
Newton and Leibniz created the calculus around the same time, unknown to each other.
Darwin and Wallace refined the idea of evolution around the same time.
The 12th-century B.C. saw the decline and/or fall of numerous peoples, just as the 5th-6th centuries A.D. did. Why do civilizations fall in clusters?
What is it about Monday, January 22, 1973? The Supreme Court overturned state anti-abortion laws in Roe v. Wade; Lyndon Johnson died on his ranch, leaving the U.S. without a living ex president; and U.S. involvement in Vietnam was coming to a formal end.
- Kennedy's name has 7 letters
- Kennedy was elected to Congress in 1946.
- Kennedy was elected president in 1960.
- Kennedy was succeeded, after assassination, by vice-president Johnson.
- Lyndon Johnson was born in 1908.
- Lyndon Johnson's name has 13 letters
- Kennedy was sitting beside his wife when he was shot.
- Connally, who was with Kennedy when he was shot, was injured (by being shot).
- Connally's name has 8 letters.
- Kennedy's wife held his head in her lap after he was shot.
- Kennedy was shot on a Friday.
- Kennedy was shot in a car made by Ford -- and in a car named Lincoln.
- JFK was shot from a warehouse and his assassin ran to a theater.
- Kennedy's assassin had a three-worded name, Lee Harvey Oswald.
- Lee Harvey Oswald has 15 letters.
- John Wilkes Boothe was born in 1838.
- Lee Harvey Oswald was born in 1939.
Lincoln died in the Petersen house.
Kennedy died in Parkland Hospital.
- Oswald was shot and died in police custody before going to trial
- Lyndon Johnson was a heavy drinker with crude behaviour
- There were conspiracy theories that Johnson was knowledgeable about Kennedy's assassination**
- Jefferson Davis Tippitt was the name of the police officer killed allegedly by Kennedy's alleged assassin