Cook Leadership Fellows at Grand Valley’s Hauenstein Center for Presidential Studies
Statistics about Fellows and Their Activities
January 6, 2011
• More than 80 leadership fellows have participated in the program.
• They have been face-to-face with 4 U.S. presidents, 1 first lady, 2 vice presidents, 4 secretaries of state, several U.S. ambassadors, 6 state governors, legislative and corporate leaders, Pulitzer Prize-winning writers, the chairman emeritus of the world's fourth largest foundation, the world's most decorated academic, a Grammy Award winner, and a national championship basketball coach.
• Since September 2007, they have had exposure to more than 150 events organized by the Hauenstein Center.
• Since September 2007, they have heard 30 local leaders from all sectors in our luncheon series.
• This year they will benefit from 9 speakers in our luncheon series and 8 leadership seminars, each taught by Gleaves and one leadership fellow.
• Last semester, the Center sent 2 fellows, who were competitively selected from a national pool of applicants, to participate in the Interfaith Leadership Institute at the White House.
• Last semester, groups of fellows attended 4 events by the Economic Club of Grand Rapids, including a speech by Former President George W. Bush.
• 30 students attended a speech by former President George W. Bush at the Gerald Ford Museum last month.
• Several met Former First Lady Rosalyn Carter in October 2010.
• The program grew from 12 to 24 to 40 students before we capped it at 40.
• We have alumni in Grand Rapids, Lansing, Detroit, Ann Arbor, Chicago, Cincinnati, Houston, Reno, Pittsburgh, Washington, D.C., and Paris.
• This year, 45 faculty-nominated students competed for 20 openings.
• This year we have 40 fellows with majors, minors, and/or graduate work in 25 different disciplines.
To learn more, visit http://www.allpresidents.org/